“That is love. To give up money... like it's nothing”— Alba to Jane about her grandfather, Mateo
|Air date||December 8, 2014|
|Written by|| Josh Reims|
|Directed by||Norman Buckley|
LATIN GRAMMY-WINNER JUANES GUEST STARS - Jane (Gina Rodriguez) and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) both reveal shocking secrets to each other. Xo (Andrea Navedo) is excited when a music producer, Elliot (Juanes), contacts her to record a demo, but little does she know that Rogelio (Jaime Camil) had a hand in making it happen. Meanwhile, Michael (Brett Dier) is close to a big break in his case, and Petra (Yael Grobglas) finds new was to make Rafael's life difficult. Ivonne Coll also stars.
|The episode begins with a flashback to Young Jane and how she loved to hear stories. Her mother is recounting an audition she just had and Alba comes in upset over a parking ticket. Jane asks why the parking ticket is so important and her abuela explains that her grandfather's family was very rich and that they left Venezuela on bad terms with the family-
They recount their time apart and Rafael takes Jane up to his penthouse. They kiss and Rafael suggests going to the bedroom and Jane skips her chance to tell him that she is waiting until marriage.
Moving over to Petra- the last two weeks have been hard on her. Her mother is constantly ordering room service- and Ivan is shown eating Lobster on her couch.
Back at the Villanueva house, things with Marco and Xo are going very well. Except Rogelio seems to always be around, getting in the way. Xo checks in on Jane who is avoiding Rogelio, and she confesses that she hadn't told him she's a virgin. She's "just being honest" when she talks down about Rafael.
Petra, desperate for money, comes and threatens that Jane will find out how much of a playboy Rafael is. He warns her to stay away from Jane.
At court, Jane is prepared for her default judgement while the Solano lawyer asks for an extension. But SURPRISE! Luisa shows up. She has been drinking but now is ready for her punishment. She was in Peru on something called Ayahuasca that made her see things clearly (and helped her vomit out her problems). Money is apparently the root of all her problems. Rafael goes to his father and asks for his job back- but he now answers to Lachlan and he wants him to answer to Petra.
Later at dinner, Jane and Rafael discuss Lachlan's latest move. Rafael tells the story about how Lachlan and Petra were together and how he stole her away. They have the awkward conversation about "Jane the Virgin" and her abstinence. Rafael does not take the news well.
At the docks, Nadine and Michael eagerly await the drug shipment coming in from Sin Rostro. They find the dock, the shipping container and- a person pops out of the container! He has a car and is driving away!!
When Jane comes home from her horrible date, Xo is excited that an actual record producer, Elliot Lantana has called and wants to record a demo with her! She lies and says Rafael took the news well.
At the Marbella, Luisa tells Rose that she is sorry for making her worry and that honesty is the best policy. She wants Rose runaway with her, but Rose refuses. Oddly accepting of that fact, Luisa then tells Rose to come clean about their affair- or she will. Rose panics!
At the bar, Rafael is drinking and a woman offers him a drink. She flirts with him while Michael and Nadine stalk the crate guy in the lobby.
The next morning Xo is in the recording studio with Lantana. Things are going... okay.
While Jane is at work she gets a VIP request to deliver mimosas up to a room. She doesn't want to do it but she brings the drinks up to a room- where Rafael is in bed, naked with the girl from last night! Brokenhearted, she heads back to the elevator and as he tries to explain that he doesn't remember what happened. She tells him that's not a good explanation.
Back in the hotel room he asks the girl what happened and she admits they slept together. He notices her "Jane the Virgin" necklace and the girl looks guilty.
In the studio, Lantana admits that Rogelio set up the recording session. She storms over to the set of The Passions of Santos and is upset because she thought it was because of her talent. Rogelio explains that he was trying to be nice and Xo accepts his apology. At home Jane tells her mother what happened and is obviously upset.
Rose, the worst person ever, goes to Rafael and makes up lies about how Luisa was coming on to her.
The girl from earlier comes to Jane's school to tell her it was all a setup. She's an escort who was paid to drug Rafael and she is so sorry. She is a religious woman who hasn't seen her son in awhile and needs a miracle. Jane hugs her. Jane explains that she is not a messiah, but she will give her a hug anyway.
Lachlan and Petra discuss how she setup Rafael with the escort and Jane tells Rafael what news and they talk about their relationship. Jane tells him that he needs to fight for what they want and that they focus on other things.
Xo ends things with Marco but she just doesn't feel the spark she has with Rogelio. The Solanos have an "intervention" with Luisa about her behavior and Rose has her committed.
Jane and Xo talk about Alba's fear of being deported and being in court. They flashback to the earlier conversation when Jane was a child- and how they came here illegally. And how she gets nervous about people finding out.
Lachlan and Petra talk again and he deletes the sex tape. He confesses that he misses her and they kiss and Petra smiles evilly.
Nadine and Michael find out that their "drug shipment" was a Serbian war criminal and how he's been very quiet since he checked into the hotel. They get a maid to open the door and he is not in the room.
Rafael gets a call and The Villaneuvas go to the lobby to listen to Xo's new demo track and she tells Rogelio that her breakup with Marco was not because of him. Rogelio is obviously interested in pursuing a relationship with her.
Rafael asks why Jane has withdrawn the lawsuit (the call was his lawyer). Jane wants to have the baby and the lawsuit was just for the money. Rafael tells Jane the truth about the lawsuit and how he is gonna fight for her. He's also gonna suck it up and work for Lachlan and Petra. He wants to be with her.
- Gina Rodriguez as Jane Villanueva
- Andrea Navedo as Xiomara Villanueva
- Yael Grobglas as Petra Solano
- Justin Baldoni as Rafael Solano
- Ivonne Coll as Alba Villanueva
- Brett Dier as Michael Cordero
- Jaime Camil as Rogelio De La Vega
- and Anthony Mendez as The Narrator
- Yara Martinez as Luisa Alver
- Bridget Regan as Rose
- Carlo Rota as Emilio Solano
- Azie Tesfai as Nadine Hanson
- Priscilla Barnes as Magda Andel
- Jenna Ortega as Young Jane
- Christopher Corbin as Ivan Rogachevsky
- Michael Rady as Lachlan Moore
- Brian Dare as Luca
- Nicholas Gonzalez as Marco Esquivel
- That is love. To give up money... like it's nothing
- – Alba
- Oh stop. You're no better. Who needs lobster EVERY night?
- – Petra
- It wasn't for Petra - it was for my grandma
- – Jane
- What am I doing this for? The money? That just feels - ugly. Especially because you are absolutely going to take care of your child financially
- – Jane
- And I'm gonna fight for you too
- – Rafael
- Luisa returns.
- Luisa goes to the mental hospital.
- Jane had no idea that Rafael's hotel was on the line
- Mateo Villanueva, Alba's late husband, came from a rich Venezuelan family.
- There was one other thing: she also spent a great deal of time hugging church-goers who thought she could grant miracles because she was a pregnant virgin but Jane wasn't about to tell him that.
- Luisa was: drinking tequila, kissing strange women and dancing... naked.
- A psychedelic vine brewed into tea (The Narrator tried it and it did nothing for him)
- Michael did not react as poorly as Rafael when Jane told him she is a virgin.
- Xo desperately did not want to have feelings for Rogelio and wanted to have a spark with Marco
- Xo never got a parking ticket again.
- Table read was on September 23, 2014 in the Manhattan Beach studios.
- Norman Buckley directed this episode.
- Filming started on September 25, 2014 at 9am.
- Filming wrapped on October 3, 2014.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/norbuck/status/514549949707878401
- ↑ https://twitter.com/norbuck/status/515171710107414528
- ↑ https://twitter.com/norbuck/status/518197395256270848
To view the Chapter Eight gallery, click here.
Behind the Scenes