“You know what it's like to be sure”— Xo to Jane
|Air date||March 9, 2015|
|Written by|| Emmylou Diaz|
David S. Rosenthal
|Directed by||Melanie Mayron|
EXPECTATIONS — When Jane (Gina Rodriguez) and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) receive news about their baby’s health, they revisit moving in together which prompts a surprise from Rafael. Alba (Ivonne Coll) gives Jane and Xo (Andrea Navedo) relationship advice that they both take to heart, but which leads them to unexpected friction with Rafael and Rogelio (Jaime Camil.) Meanwhile, Petra (Yael Grobglas) finds herself with an unexpected ally. Michael (Brett Dier) tells Jane that her favorite literary idol is staying at the Marbella and Jane is determined to get her own book into her hands.
The episode begins with young Jane seeking truth in all forms, wanting answers for all her questions and not being satisfied until she fully comprehends the matter at hand. This isn’t particularly surprising, given Jane’s constant latent need to have a plan and be completely informed, but it does fill in the blanks a bit. Lucky for her, she and Rafael get a very important answer right off the bat, when they are informed their baby is healthy. (A relief, even though serious natal issues never seemed like a particularly serious threat.) After this news, Rafael is hopeful that Jane will be ready to answer his question about the two moving in together, and Jane gently turns him down, telling him that even though they’re having a baby together, she still yearns to follow a modified plan of how relationships are “supposed” to proceed. Rafael misinterprets Jane’s words as her pressuring him to propose to her and does so at a private reading by Jane’s favorite romance author, Angelique Harper. It does not go the way he hopes, and Jane asks for more time.
Meanwhile, Xo and Ro are back to doing it on the reg, so on the reg that Xo may be pregnant, thanks to imprecise birth-control ingestion, though Rogelio is clueless on this front. Rogelio assures Xo that everything is going well at his new job despite everything going terribly at his new job. Eventually the truth comes out about the potential pregnancy (she’s not) and job satisfaction (he’s not), and the two decide to recommit themselves to being honest with each other while also deciding it’s time to move in together.
Alba attempts to get Jane to decide whether or not to marry Rafael based on an old magazine quiz, and Xo reminds Jane of how certain she was that she wanted to marry Michael when she knew he was going to propose. In the end, Jane speaks honestly to Rafael about how she wants them to stay the course for now because that’s what her gut says to do. He’s upset but understands.
In the midst of all this, Jane works up the nerve to approach her hero while she’s staying in the hotel in the attempt to slip her a copy of the first chapter of her book. Things go awry, and in a classic mistaken-identity bit, Jane is forced to give the author a surprise 90-minute massage that she is woefully unprepared for. Afterwards, she recounts the ridiculous affair to Michael while Rafael watches them from afar, chatting like old friends.
House Solano Back at the hotel, Lachlan is back on-site, as Petra wishes to fire him to his face. Rafael assures her that this is a terrible idea, as Lachlan’s contract states he’ll collect $1 million if he’s dismissed. Lachlan then comes to Rafael to try to set up a scheme to force Petra out, revolving around his and Petra’s sex tape. Rafael is disinterested, but the sex tape leaks anyway. Surprisingly, however, it was Petra who leaked the tape, in order to wrest back control of the situation. She explains herself to Rafael and suggests they team up to try to force Lachlan out. This business proposal Rafael accepts.
Aaron, Roman’s twin, is anxious to speak with Petra about his brother’s final days, which Petra reluctantly agrees to. Eventually, though, it’s revealed that Aaron is primarily interested in a necklace of his mother’s that has gone missing. Petra assures Aaron he can have the necklace back and delivers it to him posthaste.
Michael flits about the fringes of the episode, both in flashback to his and Jane’s relationship and in the present. He’s well acquainted with Jane’s adoration of Angelique Harper, and is the one who informs Jane that Harper is staying in the hotel. He and Jane additionally run into each other at their favorite food truck, and again later, after Jane has given her a mistaken massage. He and Jane seem to be working through some of their awkwardness and attempting the difficult transition back to friendship.
Rogelio is back to work after starting at his new gig, playing second fiddle to his nemesis. Things are terrible all around, as it becomes clear that Rogelio is merely there to be Esteban’s whipping boy. Xo witnesses how miserable the situation is, but Rogelio assures her it’s worth it to be able to pursue a relationship with her. Also, Rogelio is made to wear peach, even though everyone knows that he doesn’t pop in peach.
Aaron doesn’t want his mother’s necklace for sentimental reasons at all! He immediately cracks it open to find the true object of his desire inside. (A flash drive? A dongle? Whatever it is, it plugs into a USB port.) Maybe Aaron isn’t so unlike his brother after all.
- Gina Rodriguez as Jane Villanueva
- Andrea Navedo as Xiomara Villanueva
- Yael Grobglas as Petra Solano
- Justin Baldoni as Rafael Solano
- Ivonne Coll as Alba Villanueva
- Brett Dier as Michael Cordero
- Jaime Camil as Rogelio De La Vega
- and Anthony Mendez as The Narrator
- Michael Rady as Lachlan Moore
- Alano Miller as Aaron Zazo
- Jenna Ortega as Young Jane
- Keller Wortham as Esteban Santiago
- Brian Dare as Luca
- Wes Armstrong as Scott Archuletta
- Kathleen York as Angelique Harper
- Arianna Ortiz as Fiona
- Jeffrey de Serrano as Alex
- Ryan W. Garcia as Javier
- “I wanna marry you, and I don't need a test to prove it”
- —Rafael to Jane
- “Your brother was there for me, at a time when I needed him. I found myself falling for him. But, in the end, when Rafael agreed to give it another try, well... I just loved him more”
- —Petra to Aaron about Roman
- “Well, yeah. He poured his heart out and you stomped all over it”
- —Luca to Jane
- Rafael proposes to Jane.
- Mateo and Alba knew each other 41 days before Mateo proposed to Alba
- Jane and Rafael's romance alter egos are called Juana and Rafe.
- Esteban pops against peach.
- Xiomara briefly worries she may be pregnant.
- Xiomara fears the changes in her relationship with Jane.
- Petra and Rafael work together against Lachlan.
- Petra releases the sex tape of her and Lachlan.
- Aaron gets his mother's necklace from Petra and smashes it, revealing a flash drive.
- Jane and Rafael put a pin in deciding whether or not to move in together, two weeks prior.