Jane the Virgin is an American comedy-drama television series airing on The CW. It is a loose adaptation of the Venezuelan telenovela Juana la Virgen, created by Perla Farías.
Set in Miami, the series will detail the surprising and unforeseen events that take place in the life of Jane Villanueva, a hard-working, religious young Latina woman whose family tradition and a vow to save her virginity until her marriage to a detective is shattered when a doctor accidentally artificially inseminates her by mistake during a checkup. And to make matters worse, the biological donor is a married man, a former playboy and cancer survivor who is not only the new owner of the hotel where Jane works, but was also her former teenage crush.
- Gina Rodriguez as Jane Villanueva
- Andrea Navedo as Xiomara Villanueva
- Yael Grobglas as Petra Andel
- Justin Baldoni as Rafael Solano
- Ivonne Coll as Alba Villanueva
- Brett Dier as Michael Cordero
- Jaime Camil as Rogelio De La Vega
- and Anthony Mendez as The Narrator
- Yara Martinez as Luisa Alver, Rafael Solano's half-sister and an OB/GYN.
- Bridget Regan as Rose, Emilio Solano's wife and Luisa Alver's lover.
- Priscilla Barnes as Magda, Petra's scheming mother.
- Yael Grobglas as Anezka, Anezka the evil twin sister of Petra and Madga's other daughter.
- Diane Guerrero as Lina, Jane's childhood best friend.
- Azie Tesfai as Nadine Hanson, Michael Cordero's partner at the Miami Police Department.
- Jenna Ortega as Young Jane, Jane at 10 years old
- Brian Dare as Luca, Jane's friend and colleague at The Marbella
- Keller Wortham as Esteban Santiago, Rogelio's nemesis and rival.
- Wes Armstrong as Scott Archuletta, Emilio Solano's assistant.
- Carlo Rota as Emilio Solano (Season 1)
- Dennis Mencia as Mateo Villanueva (Season 2)
- Rosie Garcia as Young Alba (Season 2)
- Megan Ketch as Susanna Barnett (Season 2)
- Greg Collins as Armstrong, Michael and Nadine's superior.
- Christopher Corbin as Ivan Rogachevsky, Milos' henchman.
- Michael Rady as Lachlan Moore, Petra's ex-fiancé and Rafael's nemesis.
- Alano Miller as Roman and Aaron Zazo (Season 1), Rafael's college roommate, Roman, and Roman's estranged brother Aaron.
- Camille Collard as Frankie (Season 1), Jane's friend and colleague at The Marbella.
- Adam Rodriguez as Jonathan Chavez (Season 2), Jane's first grad professor and thesis advisor
- Melanie Mayron as Professor Donaldson (Season 2), Jane's second thesis advisor.
Special Guest Stars
- Fabiana Udenio as Elena Di Nola, Rafael Solano's absent mother
- Castulo Guerra as Manuel De La Vega, Rogelio's father
- and Rita Moreno as Liliana De La Vega, Rogelio's mother
Jane the Virgin, an adaptation of a telenovela but itself just incorporating elements of the genre, employs a number of storytelling gags and references to real telenovelas.
Jane's story is told through a specific theme for each season:
- Season 1 is the story of Jane's journey from accidental insemination to childbirth
- Season 2 is Jane's discovery of motherhood and how it informs her identity
- Season 3 will be the journey of growing up and what that costs.
The story itself is told like a book with chapters, which are added into parts of Jane's story. So far, it goes as following:
- PART 1 – Chapter One to Chapter Twenty-Two
- PART 2 – Chapter Twenty-Three to Chapter Fifty-Four
- PART 3 – Chapter Fifty-Five to *Series Finale*
Part 3 is the last part of the story
- Main article: Episode Guide
- Jane the Virgin is the 2015 People's Choice Winner for Favorite New TV Comedy
- Jane the Virgin was nominated for 2 Golden Globes Awards for Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy and Gina Rodriguez won Best Actress - Television Series Musical or Comedy.
- The series airs Monday nights in the 9 p.m. (ET/PT)/8 p.m. (CT) timeslot.
- There were three additional scripts ordered for the series.
- Jane the Virgin is the first series from The CW to be nominated for and win a Golden Globe Award
- Jane the Virgin is breaking ground in TV motherhood depictions.
- Jane the Virgin aired on ABSCBN. But only exclusive to the Philippines.
- Jane the Virgin airs in the Philippines however not anymore in ABSCBN. It airs in Starworld.
- Jane the Virgin Cast Greatness
- – BUZZFEED january 2016
- ↑ "In my mind, it’s a three-part narrative and this is a giant seismic shift that happened around our midpoint. So, you know, they’re not equal thirds" http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/jane-the-virgin-showrunner-shocking-twist.html?
- ↑ http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/awards/nominees/?year=2015 2015 PCA Winner's List
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2014/09/the-flash-jane-the-virgin-additional-scripts-cw-838768
- ↑ http://www.goldenglobes.com/person/gina-rodriguez
- ↑ http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/see-gina-rodriguezs-heartwarming-globes-speech.html
- ↑ http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/jane-the-virgin-radical-depiction-of-early-motherhood.html
- ↑ http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/jane-the-virgin-wants-to-make-america-great-again#.omrp0rQvz
- ↑ http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/single-motherhood-on-jane-the-virgin.html